January 22, 2019
Porcelain veneers in Virginia Beach are a great way to transform a smile from so-so to spectacular in only two visits. One of the greatest advantages of porcelain veneers is their extreme resistance to staining and discoloration. In fact, you need not worry about stains at all, as long as you follow your dentist’s recommendations. These include regular brushing and flossing, eating a sensible diet low in sugar, and avoiding tobacco products.
What Makes Porcelain Veneers a Great Restorative Option
Millions of Americans have teeth that are basically healthy but nonetheless are past their prime when it comes to their appearance. This problem has many potential cause, including a diet high in sugar or acidic beverages, tobacco use, or the simple effects of time and aging.
Other people have a bright, clear smile but are still plagued by small imperfections in their teeth, such as chips, minor cracks, unevenness, or wide gaps between their teeth. They need a way to make their smile more symmetrical.
Three Steps to a More Beautiful Smile
Do any of these problems sound familiar? If so, then you may be a prime candidate for porcelain veneers. Here’s how they work:
- Your dentist performs a complete oral examination and discusses your smile enhancement goals with you at that time.
- If the two of you agree that veneers are a good option, then he or she will apply a gentle etching solution to the front of your teeth. This gives the veneers the slightly rough surface they need to bond to your smile.
- The actual veneers are crafted by a dental lab to match the shades of your gums and mouth. Once they arrive, your dentist will check that multiple time to ensure a perfect fit. The last step is to use a special light-activated dental adhesive to bond them to your teeth. Afterwards you can show off your new smile to the world.
Caring for Your Veneers
Keeping your new veneers looking their best takes reasonable self-care, including these steps:
- Following the basics of dental hygiene, including brushing 2-3 times a day, flossing at least once per day, and seeing your dentist twice a year for cleanings and exams.
- Using a soft bristle toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste. Your dentist will probably recommend a brand.
- Limiting consumption of acidic beverages, as these can erode the enamel on your teeth. Examples include alcohol, fruit juices, tea, and coffee.
- Staying away from all forms of tobacco and all types of vaping products. Tobacco smoke is filled with corrosive carcinogens that can have devastating consequences for your appearance and your health.
- Never chewing on ice or other hard objects. Not only can these damage your veneers, they can also crack your natural teeth, causing double damage.
Dental veneers are a great way to restore or even improve your natural smile. Talk to your cosmetic dentist in Virginia Beach about these and other restorative options during your upcoming appointment. You have nothing to lose and a world of beautiful new benefits to gain.
About the Author
Dr. Asra Javeed earned her DMD degree from the Boston University School of Dental Medicine. She is a member of the Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Dental Society and is continually upgrading her skills through ongoing study. You can reach her office online or by calling (757) 498-6420.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.