Tooth Extractions – Virginia Beach, VA
Remove Dental Pain and Protect Your Oral Health
No adult ever wants to lose a tooth, but there are circumstances when it is the best or even only option with your oral health in mind. Neglecting a badly decayed, damaged, or infected tooth can lead to even more pain and major problems later on. To save your smile from teeth that are past the point of no return, Dr. Asra Javeed is your dentist in Virginia Beach who can perform a quick and comfortable extraction. Read on or contact our office today to learn how this common dental treatment can remove dental pain and protect your oral health.
Why Choose Smile Care Family Dentistry for Tooth Extractions?
- Many Dental Insurance Plans Accepted
- Same-Day Appointments Available
- Experienced And Kind Dentist
Reasons Why Tooth Extractions Are Necessary
At Smile Care Family Dentistry, we only recommend tooth extractions when all other options have been considered. Dr. Javeed will first evaluate your tooth to determine if it can be saved through root canal therapy, a dental crown, or other restorative treatment. However, a tooth extraction may be the best solution if you have:
- Severe dental infection that could spread to adjacent teeth
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Overcrowded smile that prevents orthodontic treatment
- Extensive tooth decay or damage
- Advanced gum disease or jawbone deterioration
The Process of Removing a Tooth
There are two primary methods for tooth extractions in Virginia Beach: simple and surgical. If your tooth has fully emerged from the gums, Dr. Javeed will use forceps to gently rock it back and forth until the tooth naturally separates from your gum tissue. Your mouth will be numbed before the extraction begins to ensure your comfort.
Surgical extractions are typically performed on an impacted wisdom tooth or a tooth that has not erupted. In this case, she will make a small incision in the gums to reveal more of it. Next, the entire tooth is pulled out or cut into smaller pieces that are removed one by one.
The only way to determine which tooth extraction method will be required is to schedule a consultation at our office. Dr. Javeed will carefully evaluate your damaged or decaying tooth and create a custom removal plan based on your unique needs.
Tooth Extraction Aftercare
After your tooth is extracted, it’s important you return home and rest. Dr. Javeed will provide you with personalized aftercare instructions to ensure a successful recovery. Common aftercare tips include:
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy, sticky, sour, and spicy foods for about a week.
- Avoid drinking through a straw, as the suction could dislodge the protective blood clot that forms over the extraction site.
- Do not smoke, chew, or vape tobacco.
- Take over-the-counter or prescription pain medication as directed by your dentist.
- After 24 hours, mix warm water with half a teaspoon of salt and rinse your mouth gently.
- Keep your mouth clean by brushing and flossing carefully plus rinsing with mouthwash gently. Don’t use mouthwash with alcohol.
You may experience swelling or light bleeding immediately after your tooth extraction. This is completely normal and not a cause for alarm. You can manage any mild discomfort by taking pain medication as directed or applying an ice pack to your cheek. If your discomfort doesn’t dissipate after a couple of days or gets worse, contact our office right away.